As cities strive to become more livable, pedestrian malls have transformed streets into walkable, pedestrian-friendly urban spaces. By blocking off vehicular traffic, these open spaces allow the public better access to retail.
After surveying several streets within downtown Newark, the Newark Downtown District (NDD) identified Halsey Street, between Academy Street and Bank Street as the location most conducive to a successful pedestrian mall. This program is part of NDD’s Sidewalk Access for Everyone (SAFE) initiative.
- Added public space with available seating
- Increased access to street level retail
- Increased foot traffic leading to more business for storefronts
- Increased walkability
- Partial street closure every Tuesday in June extending into October from 11am-3pm
- Organized and maintained by the NDD in conjunction with the City of Newark
For more information, please contact Matthew Pietrus, Urban Planner (NDD), at email@example.com.